America, the country often known to Europeans for being big, bigger, biggest. Politics, buildings, but also in the case with food. Fast food chains that are everywhere including Mac Donalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Burger King, Wendy’s, Subway, Taco Bell and so on. Not normally size drinks but the biggest drinks you have ever seen. Everything is big, like these cookies! Or that is the image I imagine after watching some YouTube videos about America food. Yet America does not only consist of fast food, but they are also known for the BBQ culture. A dish that is often used as a side dish at BBQ is Macaroni and Cheese! In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Macaroni and Cheese!
What is the Definition of Macaroni and Cheese
The meaning of Macaroni and Cheese is:
”Macaroni and Cheese consists of cooked macaroni pasta with cheese to create a sauce mixture”.
Macaroni and Cheese, also familiar with the name Mac and Cheese, has been around for hundreds of years. For example, the dish was featured in an Italian Cookbook called Linber de Coquina. The difference, however, was that the Italians used Parmesan cheese for their version of the famous Mac and Cheese. This was around the 14th century. This dish was written in an English cookbook whereby the sauce was formed with the melted cheese and butter. Different types had emerged around the 17th century. For example, a béchamel sauce with cheddar cheese was used or cream and butter were added to the dish.
American Mac and Cheese
A hundred years later, the dish was introduced to America. Thomas Jefferson had eaten the dish in Paris and wanted to eat it in America too. At a state dinner, it was on the menu and the rest is history. The dish ended up in many cookbooks including The Virginia Housewife (1824) and Godeys Lady Book (1861). British emigrants subsequently also introduced the dish to Canada. To date, Canada is the country where most Mac and Cheese is eaten. Some chefs have also stated that this could be Canada’s national dish. It is even indicated that it will stand for poutine.
Over the years, different recipes have emerged for this popular dish. In theory, you could use different pasta types. There must be folds and pockets so that the cheese also adheres well to the pasta.
The same applies to the use of cheese. As you have read, different types of cheeses were used in the past. The most popular cheese used is Cheddar. In addition, several different cheeses are often combined with each other to ensure a strong cheese flavor. You can also add Gruyere, Parmesan, Gouda, Mozzarella and Pecorino.
Ingredients Mac and Cheese
To make Macaroni and Cheese you need the following ingredients: macaroni, Cheddar Cheese, Gruyere Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Flour, Butter, Milk, Pepper and Nutmeg.
You can choose if you want one type of cheese or two or three.
Mac and Cheese
- Cooking Pan
- 400 grams Macaroni (Elbow)
- 120 grams Cheddar Cheese
- 90 grams Gruyere Cheese
- 90 grams Parmesan Cheese
- 30 grams Flour
- 60 grams Unsalted Butter
- 1 liter Milk
- 2 grams Pepper
- 1,5 grams Nutmeg
- 1,5 grams Salt
- Fill a Cooking pan with Hot water and put it on a medium heat.
- When the water starts boiling add the Elbow Macaroni.
- Grate the cheese and put it in a bowl. Stir the different cheeses together. Set aside some cheese to sprinkle on top of the macaroni at last.
- Take the second Cooking pan and put it on a medium heat. Start melting the butter.
- After melting the butter add the flour. Start cooking for 2 minutes.
- After two minutes start add the milk slowly and keep stirring well each time. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add pepper, nutmeg, salt and cheese. Keep stirring so you get a good mixture. Its important to add the cheese slowly.
- Drain the pasta and add these to the cheese mixture. Stir well together.
- Put the pasta in a casserole (Oven Bowl) add another layer of cheese on top.
- Preheat the oven at 180 Celsius.
- Put the Oven Bowl in the oven for 20 minutes or when the pasta and cheese has a golden color.
- Take the dish out of the oven and you are ready to serve!
FAQ Mac and Cheese
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
The name says it all: Macaroni (Elbows) with a Cheese sauce.
You can use different types of Cheese. The most popular ones are Cheddar, Gruyere and Parmesan.