In an earlier article I already described how you can make a great orange sauce. The next dish has to do with this of course. This dish is really a typical dish that you can serve during the Christmas season. Maybe it’s something you don’t eat that often throughout the year, but the combination of both is so extremely delicious. I am of course talking about Duck a l’orange, also popular under the name Orange Duck or Canard a l’orange. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Duck a l’orange.
What is the definition of Duck a l’orange
The meaning of Duck a l’orange is:
”The Duck a l’orange is a french dish that consist of a roast duck with orange sauce, also called bigarade sauce”.
About Orange Duck
You may have heard of the dish canard á l’orange. The dish resembles orange duck, only the difference is that the duck is stewed instead of roasted.
A few stories have emerged about the origin of the dish. For example, it is suggested that it is originally from Florence. However, it had a different name, namely papero alla melarancia. The cookbooks have been looked at, but this name was not found until the 20th century. It was an Italian who was the first to describe the dish. You expect a recipe with explanation about the dish, but it was in a poem. It was indicated how the dish spread from Naples in Italy to Paris in France.
Like other dishes, there are also many variations for this dish. It also depends on which country you live in and what the duck looks like there. There are different types of duck. The White Pekin is popular in the United States for example. You don’t have to be a fan of duck, but I can assure you that this dish will open your eyes.
It is a dish with a sweetness, a sourness, the crispy layer of the duck and the tender meat. Everything in this dish is right. You have to love the taste, but it’s a great dish and also easy to prepare. After all, that is also a big advantage of duck breast. You quickly bake it for 6 minutes on the side of skin and 4 minutes on the other side. The duck is ready in 10 minutes!
Duck a l’orange Recipe Ingredients
To make this fantastic dish you need the following ingredients: duck breast, orange, red wine vinegar, butter, sugar, honey, brandy, chili powder and shallot. You can find the recipe below or watch the video on YouTube!
Duck a l’orange
- Baking Pan
- 200 grams Duck Breast
- 1 Orange
- 80 ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 40 grams Butter
- 30 grams Sugar
- 15 ml Honey
- 27 ml Brandy
- 1 Shallot
- Chili Powder
- First start with the orange sauce. Shop a shallot finely.
- Place a saucepan on medium heat. But in the 20 grams of butter.
- When the butter has melted add the shallots. Bake them until they are golden brown.
- Add 30 grams of sugar and mix everything. After the sugar is melted add the 15 ml honey together with the 80 ml of red wine vinegar.
- Make sure the sauce is boiling to reduce the flavor of the vinegar.
- After the boiling reduce the heat and add the 27 ml of brandy.
- It's time to grate the entire orange peel. Add the orange juice, pinch of salt, chili powder and the orange peel.
- After the sauce it's time to prepare the duck. Make 5 incisions into the ducks skin.
- Take a baking pan and a a little bit of olive oil on medium heat. Bake the duck 6 minutes skin side and 4 minutes the other side.
- After the 10 minutes let the duck rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 20 grams of butter to the sauce. Stir everything and the orange sauce is ready.
- Cut the duck breast into slices. Add the orange sauce over the sliced duck breast on your plate.
FAQ Duck a l’orange
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Duck a l’orange?
The Duck a l’orange is a french dish that consist of a roast duck with orange sauce.
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: duck breasts, orange, red wine vinegar, butter, sugar, honey, brandy, chili powder and shallot.
For how many persons is this dish?
The recipe is for 1 person, but the sauce can be for 2 persons!