Pancakes are worldwide a very popular dish. From the French Crepes till the American pancakes. In every country the pancakes vary in taste, texture and ingredients. One of the delicious pancakes we ever made was a Japanese Souffle style pancake, a breakfast pancake. In this article we will explain what a Souffle Pancake is and how you can make the Japanese Style Fluffy Pancakes at home.
What is the definition of Souffle Pancake
The meaning of Souffle Pancake is:
“A Souffle Pancake is a Japanese style fluffy pancake that is at least 4 cm high. The fluffy Pancake is also very light due to the use of whipped egg whites”.
Different Types of Fluffy Pancake
You have seen them on social media channels: the perfect pancakes that are higher than normal pancakes. They are often served with fruit and you really get the perfect instagram photos. The difference with American pancakes is that these souffle pancakes are not flat, but super light, which makes them higher. The pancakes get this lightness by whipping egg whites. This allows them to grow to 5 cm or higher.
You can make different types of Souffle Pancakes by using other side ingredients like a combination of strawberry and chocolate, banana and nuts or blueberries and maple syrup. The recipe video can you watch below or here.
- Two Bowls
- Kitchen Machine
- Baking Pan
- 1 Egg
- 30 grams Flour
- 4 Strawberries
- 10 grams Powdered Sugar
- 15 ml Milk
- 15 ml Vanilla Extract
- 5 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 20 grams Sugar
- Olive Oil
- Unsalted Butter
- Split the egg white from the egg yolk. Place the egg yolk in a separate bowl.
- Put 30 grams of patent flour and 15 ml of milk in the egg yolk bowl. Mix everything together.
- Add 15 ml of vanilla extract to the mixture and mix everything well.
- Put 5 ml of apple cider vinegar in the egg white bowl. Use a kitchen machine to get a whipped texture.
- Add 20 grams of sugar to the foamy egg whites. Mix the egg whites until you can make little peaks.
- Add the whipped egg cream to the other bowl. Stir gently to preserve the light texture.
- Use a pan with a glass lid on it. Use a little bit of oil to grease the pan. Set to medium heat.
- After one minute use an ice cream scoop or spoon to place the batter in the pan. Add two tablespoons of water and cook for two minutes.
- After two minutes add the rest of the batter on top, reduce the heat and cook for another 5 minutes. Add one tablespoon of water.
- After 5 minutes flip the pancake and bake the other side for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the Souffle Pancake is ready.
- Cut some fresh strawberries and place them next to the Souffle Pancake.
- Add two thin slices of butter on top of the Souffle Pancake. Sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
FAQ Souffle Pancake
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
A Japanese style fluffy pancake that is at least 4 cm high. The Fluffy Pancake is also very light due to the use of whipped egg whites.
The original recipe for a Japanese Style Fluffy Pancake contains eggs, patent flour, milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and sugar.
You can make different types of fluffy Pancakes by using other side ingredients like a combination of strawberry and chocolate, banana and nuts or blueberries and maple syrup.