One of the first things you want to make when you start baking is a cake or cookies. These two things sounds really easy, but you may have experienced it, that you followed the recipe 100% and the cake collapses in the oven. When I talk about cookies, i mean Chocolate Chip Cookies. These cookies are beautiful brown on the outside and soft from the inside. The inside contains pieces of melted chocolate and roasted walnuts. If you want to impress your friends, family or children you need to follow this recipe. In this article we describe how to make chocolate chip cookies!
What is the Definition of Chocolate Chip Cookies
The meaning of Chocolate Chip Cookies is:
”Chocolate Chip Cookies are cookies with walnuts and different types of dark chocolate. The cookies are brown on the outside and soft on the inside”.
The chocolate cookie found his discovery around 1938 in the United States. The cookie is a creating of Ruth Graves Wakefield. She was the first who cut a chocolate bar into pieces and added this ingredient with the cookie.
Two stories arose here: she discovered it by accident and the discovery was intentional. She shared the recipe with Nestle. After all, this was the brand of chocolate that Ruth used. She was supplied with chocolate for the company by Nestle for a life time. Around 1938 the name of the chocolate chip cookie was even different, it was then known as Toll House Chocolate Crunch Cookie. The popularity of the cookie increased during the Second World War. Soldiers at the front received care packages from home. This care package also included Ruth’s biscuit. Soldiers wanted to know where it came from and that’s how the craze started. The biscuit had his introduction to the United Kingdom around 1956.
To make a Chocolate Chip Cookie you need the following ingredients: cake flour, all purpose flower, salt, corn starch, baking soda, chopped chocolate, eggs, light brown & granulated sugar and walnuts.
An important part of the cookie is the chocolate and the walnuts. To get the best results you have to use good chocolate. My inspiration for the cookie (besides Ruth Graves) comes for Levain Bakery. The cookies of Levain are popular, because of the size and the melted chocolate in the cookie. When you break this cookie in two pieces, you will see the soft chocolate flowing out with the walnuts inside. A tip to get the best results is to roaster the walnuts! This will improve the taste of it!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Kitchen Machine
- Cooking Pan
- 165 grams Walnuts (Roasted)
- 450 grams Chocolate (Dark)
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 Eggs
- 285 grams Light Brown Sugar
- 115 grams White Granulated Sugar
- 275 grams All Purpose Flour
- 230 grams Cake Flour
- 6 grams Baking Soda
- 8 grams Corn Starch
- 5 grams Salt
- 280 grams Unsalted Butter
- The first step is to roast your Walnuts. Take a cooking pan and give the walnuts some color. When they have a little bit of color put them a side.
- Take a bowl and add all the dry ingredients. Start with the cake flour and the all purpose flour. After this you can add the baking soda, corn starch and the salt.
- Get a whisk and stir the ingredients well. Set the bowl to the side.
- The next step is to melt the unsalted butter in a pan.
- Unpack the chocolate and cut the chocolate into different sizes.
- Get the kitchen machine and add the bowl with the brown sugar and the white granulated sugar. Start mixing.
- Add during the mixing the melted butter.
- When the butter is added its time to add the eggs one at the time
- After adding the eggs also add the eggs yolks one by one.
- The next step is to add the dry ingredients. Make sure to add a little bit at a time until it is a good mixture.
- Take the bowl with roasted walnuts and the chopped chocolate and add the last two ingredients to the mixture. Mix it for 10-15 seconds.
- Grab a new bowl and add the mixture. Take a piece of cling film (plastic wrap) and place it on top. Put the bowl in the fridge for 1 hour.
- it is time to measure the cookies. The cookies should weigh 170 grams. Take the mixture and make round balls. Put the round balls on a plate and put them back in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and add the baking paper in advance.
- After 1 hour take the round cookies out the fridge and put 4 cookies in the oven. Make sure that the cookies have enough space.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until they turn a golden brown on the outside.
- Take the cookies out and let them rest for 5-10 minutes
FAQ Chocolate Chip Cookies
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
The name says it all: cookies with chopped chocolate pieces.
My advice is to use dark chocolate (70+) to get the best result. Don’t use milk chocolate!
I have used light brown sugar. You can also use dark brown sugar.