Christmas is a great time of the year for me. Normally I would go skiing, but this year everything is slightly different. Christmas is fun for me. The atmosphere and the songs that can be heard on the radio make it the best holidays of the year. One of my favorite parts is eating during Christmas. Christmas and food that is a perfect combination. A dish that can be eaten during Christmas is duck with an amazing sauce. Duck naturally needs an orange sauce. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make orange sauce for duck.
What is the definition of Orange Sauce
The meaning of Orange Sauce is:
”Orange Sauce or called duck sauce is a sweet and sour flavor. This sauce has a orange color and is served with duck. It’s also familiar under the name bigarade sauce”.
About Orange Sauce
Each country has its own dishes that are popular during the holidays and especially Christmas. In certain countries you will have a lot of sweet dishes in combination with bread. Other countries may have a lot of meat on the menu. This meat can consist of, for example, a good ham, but also poultry, including chicken, turkey or duck.
There are different sauces that are used and go well with duck. In this case I mean the orange sauce that is served with the dish:
- Orange Duck, Canard a l’orange or also called Duck a l’orange.
The great thing about duck is that if you know how to prepare it, it is so easy. It is literally making cuts at the top where you go through the skin. Then you bake the duck in a pan on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. You start with the skin side. After the 2 to 3 minutes, turn it over and bake the other side. When the time is up, take the duck out the pan and let it rest for a couple of minutes. After this it’s time to make nice slices and serve the duck with a fantastic orange sauce. The question is, how do you make the orange duck sauce? It’s time to tell you the ingredients.
Orange Sauce Recipe Ingredients
To make this fantastic sauce you need the following ingredients: orange, red wine vinegar, butter, sugar, honey, brandy, chili powder and shallot. You can find the recipe below or watch the video on YouTube!
- 1 Orange
- 80 ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 30 grams Sugar
- 40 grams Butter
- 15 ml Honey
- 27 ml Brandy
- 1 Shallot
- Chili powder
- The first step to make the Orange sauce is to finely chop a shallot.
- Place a pan with 20 grams of butter on medium heat.
- When the butter has melted add the shallots and bake them until golden brown
- Next add 30 grams of sugar and stir everything together.
- When the sugar has melted add 15 ml of honey and 80 ml of Red Wine Vinegar.
- Boil the sauce to reduce the flavor of the vinegar.
- Add 27 ml of brandy and stir everything together.
- Grate the entire orange peel. First add the juice of one orange to the sauce and the orange peel second. Next add a pinch of salt & chili powder.
- Let it summer for 5 minutes. Add 20 grams of butter to the sauce. Stir everything and the orange sauce is ready to serve!
FAQ Orange Sauce
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Orange Sauce?
This sauce is also called duck sauce. It’s a sweet and sour flavor. This sauce has a orange color and is served with duck.
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: orange, red wine vinegar, butter, sugar, honey, brandy, chili powder and shallot
For how many persons is the sauce?
The recipe is for 3-4 persons. Depending of course how much of the sauce you are serving on the plate.