The last sauce I covered as a recipe were Garlic Sauce and Tomato Sauce. Today there is a sauce on the menu that also comes from the Middle East. In the last few years, this sauce has become more and more popular. When I look around me, I notice that there is so much talk about this. I am of course talking about Hummus. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Hummus.
What is the definition of Hummus
The meaning of Hummus is:
”A puree that is based on chickpeas, tahini and other ingredients like olive oil. The name of the dish is also known as humus, hoummous or hommos bi tagina”.
What is Hummus
This is a dish that mainly consists of chickpeas. The chickpeas are boiled and then ground together with tahini, lemon juice and a few gloves garlic. You can use it as dip, spread or dish. The dish comes from the Middle East, but can now also be found in Europe or other parts of the world.
If we look at the history of the dish, the basic ingredients are chickpeas, sesame, lemon and garlic. It’s a cold dish that was first described in the 13th century. This recipe was found in a cookbook in Egypt. Originally from Levant, it is a big part of the cuisine in the country of Lebanon. It is often eaten with bread, including Turkish bread or pita. This way you dip the bread in the sauce. You often see an oil on the hummus, this is the olive oil. This just gives the dish extra flavor. You can use this sauce with dishes such as Falafel, but also sandwiches or a salad.
Making this sauce is not that difficult. In principle, you only need 5 ingredients. These ingredients are:
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
Every ingredient is ultimately important, but the main ingredient is Chickpeas. Chickpeas can be prepared in different ways. I would choose to cook them briefly, about 15 minutes. This makes them soft and makes them easier to process. Another option is to use canned chickpeas which you then rest in warm water with baking soda. By letting the chickpeas rest in warm water in combination with baking soda, you will see that you can gently remove the skin afterwards. Let it rest for about 10 minutes. You have these two options for the best result. An important notice: make sure you have good quality Tahini. This will make or break your dish!
If you have a can with 400 grams of Chickpeas, you need 7 grams of baking soda. So for every 100 grams that comes down to 1.75 grams. Below are briefly the steps to make hummus:
- Grab a bowl and fill it with the Chickpeas
- Add the baking soda and warm water. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the skins from the Chickpeas
- Add the Chickpeas to the mixer. Start mixing
- Then add olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and garlic. Mix everything together
- Taste the sauce. You can then add extra of the ingredients, including some salt. Mix it together again
- Spoon the sauce into a bowl and add some olive oil and paprika powder on top. The sauce can be served!
To make this fantastic sauce you need a couple of ingredients. These ingredients are: canned chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil. Optional are salt and paprika powder. You can find the recipe below. If you are interested in cooking videos you can watch my YouTube Channel!
- Food Processor
- 400 grams Chickpeas
- 30 grams Tahini
- 90 grams Lemon Juice
- 2 Gloves Garlic
- 3 grams Salt
- Paprika Powder
- Olive Oil
- First grab a bowl and fill it with the chickpeas.
- Add the baking soda and warm water in the bowl. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, remove the skins for the Chickpeas.
- Add the Chickpeas to the mixer and start mixing.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic and mix everything together. You can also add a little bit of olive oil.
- When everything is mixed together taste the sauce. You can add a little bit more salt if you like. Mix everything a last time.
- Put the sauce into a bowl and add some olive oil and paprika powder on top. The sauce can be served!
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Hummus?
A puree that is based on chickpeas, tahini and other ingredients like olive oil. The name of the dish is also known as humus, hoummous or hommos bi tagina.
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: canned chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil. Optional are salt and paprika powder.
How long does it take to make?
The total time with preparation and mixing is 20 minutes.