Meat, for some the tastiest thing there is on this planet. For the other it is terrible and it concerns animal suffering. The family on my mother’s side had own butcheries. I have grown up with meat and really, really like the taste of it. For example Guanciale in pasta carbonara. Chicken is also meat. It does belong to the group of poultry or white meat. Chicken meat is low in unsaturated fat. This makes is healthier to eat, than for example a steak. In addition, the skin of the chicken contains more fats. One of the meats is really enjoy is chicken schnitzel. The best chicken schnitzel I ever had was in Austria, the well-known Wiener Schnitzel. It was just unbelievable good and tasteful! In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make chicken schnitzel.
What is the Definition of Chicken Schnitzel
The meaning of Chicken Schnitzel is:
”Chicken Schnitzel is chicken breast with an crispy outer layer that you can make with flour, egg and breadcrumbs”.
When it comes to Schnitzels, the most famous and the original schnitzel is made from veal. This is the real Wiener Schnitzel. This piece of meat is flattened to get the size of your hand. The outside of the meat is crispy and has a nice brown color. This crust is made from flour, egg and breadcrumbs. After breading, the meat is fried in two pans with different oil temperatures. Because the meat has been flattened, within a couple of seconds the meat is cooked. When serving the schnitzel you get a slice of lemon. This gives the schnitzel the extra flavor. Of course you can also simply bake a schnitzel in butter, but in Austria they use oil.
The history of the schnitzel goes back a few hundred years. Originally it spread through Ottoman cuisine to Italy and then Austria. During the 15th and 16th centuries they started eating Schnitzel in Italy. During that time they used veal and breadcrumb. You can make schnitzel with pork, chicken and veal. Veal is the real deal, but more expensive. To recognize the difference, this is often indicated on the menu. The pork is called Schnitzel Wiener Art. In addition, it is also possible that they simply call it Wiener Schnitzel. To be really sure you will have to ask in a restaurant.
There are many different variations of Schnitzels. The most popular are: Wiener schnitzel, schnitzel wiener art, gypsy schnitzel and Cordon Bleu.
To make the Chicken Schnitzel you need the following ingredients: Chicken Breasts, flour, eggs, breadcrumbs, oil and lemon.
- Plastic Foil
- Cooking Pan
- 400 grams Chicken Breasts (Boneless 2 pieces)
- 2 Eggs
- 100 grams Flour
- 250 grams Breadcrumbs
- 1 Lemon
- Take a breast and start cutting of the meat that is hanging.
- Slice the breast in the middle horizontal until almost the end of the breast.
- Spread the breast out. You will see two halves attached to each other. Cut the middle so you have two halves.
- Wrap the breast in plastic foil.
- Use a mallet or heavy object (pan) to smash the chicken breasts to make them thin.
- Fill the cooking pan with oil and on medium heat. There needs to be enough oil to fried the chicken breasts. The oil needs to reach 175 Celsius.
- Put the dry ingredients into different bowls
- Take a chicken breast and put a layer of flour on the breast, than in the bowl with the eggs. In the end put the chicken breast in the breadcrumbs bowl.
- Put the chicken breast in the 175 Celsius oil for 2-4 minutes. The breasts are done when the have a golden brown color.
- Take the Chicken Schnitzel out and place it on a paper towel. After 2 minutes you can serve the Chicken Schnitzel with a slice of lemon!
FAQ Chicken Schnitzel
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
Chicken Schnitzel is chicken breast with an crispy outer layer that you can make with flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
You need to use a heavy object. This can be a heavy pan or a mallet. Make sure when you hit the chicken there is something under so you don’t damage your kitchen!