It’s almost the new year, but one thing is always certain when the new year starts: good resolutions. To me, it’s always things people imagine that sound nice for the first few weeks. After that, people no longer adhere to it. Even if it involves a lot more sporting, spending more time with family and friends or eating healthier. You can have new New Year’s resolutions every day and one thing I already started with is eating healthy snacks. This time I’m not talking about Chocolate Coconut bars, Overnight Oats or oatmeal. Today’s recipe comes close to that. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Chia Pudding.
What is the definition of Chia Pudding
The meaning of Chia Pudding is:
”An healthy snack with creamy milk, chia seeds, vanilla extract and a sweetener that is stored overnight. By storing the mixture overnight the texture becomes thicker and creamier”.
The dish is called Chia pudding, but it is actually not real pudding. Real pudding is also milk-based, but that is often thickened with cornstarch, eggs, or gelatin. Custard powder is also an option. The dish resembles a pudding because it uses a creamy milk. When it is left in the fridge all night, the substance will thicken. This looks like a pudding. You don’t need a saucepan for this recipe where you heat the milk and then add cornstarch. This recipe is much easier and faster.
Chia Seeds Origin
Chia seeds are seeds that you can eat. The seeds are native to Central and Southern Mexico. You can recognize these seeds by their shape and color: the seeds are gray and have spots that can be black and white. These seeds are able to absorb liquid. Ideal for this recipe!
You may not have heard of these seeds yourself, yet these seeds exist even before the Aztec era. It seems that it was the staple of this culture at the time. The seeds are still grown in South America. Due to the popularity, more countries in South America have also started growing them. In addition to Mexico, the seeds are also grown in countries such as Bolivia, Argentina, Nicaragua and Ecuador.
Making Chia Pudding
To make this snack you need milk. You have to choose a milk that is creamy. I use Almond Milk for this, but if you want to use something else like Coconut Milk then you are of course free to use this. The second ingredient you need is Chia seeds. Before I elaborate on what else you need, let me explain the nutritional value of these seeds.
When you buy the seeds dried in an amount of 100 grams, it contains:
- 6% water
- 42% carbohydrates
- 16% protein
- 31% fat
They are also packed with B vitamins, thiamine, folic acid, calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc. So super healthy!
In addition to the Chia seeds, you also need a sweetener. You can think of mable syrup, honey, brown sugar, granulated sugar or stevia. I choose stevia myself, as it is packed with carbohydrates and no sugar. This way you can make a really healthy snack. Finally, you need a topping. I chose pineapple, but you can also use strawberries, berries or other toppings. The last thing I use Vanilla extract to give the drink more flavor!
For the rest it is super simple:
- Grab a glass
- Fill the glass with 120 ml of milk
- Add 30 grams of chia seeds to this
- Add the stevia and vanilla extract
- Stir well and set the glass aside for 10 minutes
- Stir everything together again so that the chia seeds can absorb the milk
- Place the glass in the fridge and stir before going to sleep.
- Leave it in the fridge overnight, then it is ready to enjoy the snack!
Chia Pudding Ingredients
To make this fantastic snack you just need four ingredients. These ingredients are: almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla extract and stevia. For the topping I use pieces of pineapple. You can find the recipe below. If you are interested in cooking videos you can watch my YouTube Channel!
- 120 ml Almond Milk
- 30 grams Chia Seeds
- Vanilla Extract
- 6 pieces Pineapple
- The first thing is to grab a glass
- Fill the glass with 120 ml of milk and add the Chia Seeds, Stevia and vanilla extract.
- Stir everything together and set the glass aside for 10 minutes so the Chia Seeds can absorb the almond milk.
- After 10 minutes stir everything again together and put the glass in the fridge overnight. Make sure to stir it one more time before go to bed.
- After the night you are ready to add the Pineapple pieces and enjoy the Chia Pudding!
- I recommend putting the glass in the fridge at night. If you don't have that much time to make it, I recommend keeping it in the fridge for at least 3 hours. This gives the Chia seeds enough time to absorb the milk and to ensure that the milk thickens.
- It is important that you choose a milk that is creamy.
FAQ Chia Pudding
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Chia Pudding?
An healthy snack with creamy milk, chia seeds, vanilla extract and a sweetener that is stored overnight. By storing the mixture overnight the texture becomes thicker and creamier.
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla extract and stevia. For the topping I use Pineapple.
How long does it take to make?
The preparation time is max 5 minutes. The most time, between 3 and 8 hours, is putting the glass with the mixture in the fridge so the Chia seeds can absorb the almond milk.