The beauty of Italy besides their nature and iconic cities is the taste and make of great food. Italians are worldwide known because of their homemade pastas. One of the most iconic pastas is Carbonara. In this article we will explain what Pasta Carbonara is and how you can make it at home.
What is the definition of Pasta Carbonara
The meaning of Pasta Carbonara is:
“Pasta Carbonara is Guanciale fried in a pan. The cooked spaghetti is add to this pan with a mixture of grated pecorino, eggs and black pepper to create a creamy sauce.”
Different Types of Pasta
The original Italian recipe contains Guanciale and Pecorino. If you don’t can get one of this items there are replacements. You can use Pancetta instead of Guanciale. Pancetta pork meat is from the belly of a pig. The salty flavour gives an extra taste dimension. Guanciale on the other hand is also pork meat but comes from the jowl of a pig. If you don’t have access to Pecorino cheese a good replacement is Parmigiano Reggiano. In the video you can find more information about the pasta and the whole recipe. Good luck with trying!
- Baking Pan
- Cooking Pan
- 2 Eggs
- 50 grams Guanciale
- 220 grams Spaghetti
- 50 grams Pecorino
- 12 ml Olive Oil
- Add water to a pan and add some salt to the pan
- When the water boils add 220 grams of spaghetti to the pan. Gently stir the spaghetti. Cook the spaghetti for 10 minutes.
- Cut 50 grams of Guanciale in small cubes.
- Add olive oil to a pan. Add the Guanciale when the oil is hot. When the Guanciale is cooked take the pan of the heat.
- When the spaghetti is cooked you add the pasta to the pan with Guanciale. Stir gently so the spaghetti absorbed the flavorful fat of the Guanciale.
- Add two eggs to a bowl. Grate 50 grams of Pecorino and add it to the same bowl. Add black pepper and whisk everything together.
- Add the mixture to the pan with spaghetti and Guanciale. Whisk until you get a creamy sauce.
- it’s optional to add more pasta water to make the sauce more creamy
FAQ Pasta Carbonara
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions about Carbonara:
With this pasta you fried Guanciale in a pan. The cooked spaghetti is add to this pan with a mixture of grated pecorino, eggs and black pepper to create a creamy sauce.
The original Italian recipe contains Guanciale (pork jowl) If you can’t get this item, you can you use Pancetta instead of Guanciale.
The original Italian recipe contains Pecorino. If you can’t get this item, you can you use Parmigiano Reggiano instead of Pecorino.