People always make a cake on birthdays or holidays. Somehow I manage that a cake just doesn’t succeeds every now and then. Still, I have one specific cake, which, like my Chocolate Cookies, always works. 100% success ratio. This cake is so delicious and I really recommend making it. You can’t go wrong with this recipe and the people who taste the cake will always remember this. It’s my special recipe for a lemon cake. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make lemon pound cake.
What is the definition of Lemon Pound Cake
The meaning of Lemon Pound Cake is:
”A lemon pound cake is a cake traditionally made with pound of 4 ingredients. These ingredients are sugar, eggs, butter and flour. To get the flavor you add lemon juice and zest! The cakes are baked in bundt mold. A second option is a loaf pan. The top of the cake consists of icing”.
A cake therefore consists of four basic ingredients: flour, butter, eggs and sugar. Here there is also a term in English-speaking countries as pound cake. This means that the four ingredients of the cake are all one pound. This term originated in Northern Europe around the 18th century. The first pound cake recipe dating back to 1796. The recipe is from an American Cookbook.
The cake recipe has changed over the years. More eggs were used or extra ingredients were added, such as vanilla extract, lemon and oranges. By adding these ingredients, the texture and of course the taste of the pound cake changes.
Different types of Pound Cake
There are different types of Pound Cake. Below you can find the most popular ones:
- Sour Cream
It is possible that I missed a popular one. If so leave a comment!
Ingredients for Lemon Pound Cake
To make this fantastic cake you need eight ingredients. The ingredients are:
Eggs, Powdered Sugar, Unsalted Butter, Sugar, Cake Flour, Salt, Baking Powder and Lemon.
You can find the recipe below or watch our video!
Lemon Pound Cake
- Kitchen Machine
- Digital Food Scale
- 30 cm baking mold
- 2 Eggs
- 100 grams Unsalted Butter
- 100 grams Sugar
- 100 grams Cake flour
- 1 gram Salt
- 2 grams Baking Powder
- 1 Lemon
- 15 grams Powdered Sugar
- 15 grams Sugar
- Start with grating the zest of a whole lemon and put it aside.
- Measure 100 grams of Sugar and add this to the lemon zest. Mix this together.
- Measure 100 grams of unsalted butter and beat the butter with a kitchen machine until it becomes soft.
- Add half of the lemon and sugar mix to the butter and mix everything together.
- Add the rest of the lemon and sugar mix.
- Add two eggs and 1 gram of salt and mix everything together. I recommend to add the egg mix little by little (7 times)
- Measuring 100 grams of cake flour and 2 grams of baking powder. Use a sieve when adding this to the mixture.
- Mix everything until you get a smooth batter. Add the 15 ml of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Get your baking mold and use baking paper on the inside.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- Pour the mix into the baking mold
- Bake the cake for 60 minutes. When the cake is baked let it rest for 30 minutes to cool down.
- When the cake is cooled down get the cake out of the baking tin.
- For the cake topping you need 15 grams of sugar and 30 millilitres of lemon juice. Mix this together until you get a paste.
- Use a skewer to poke holes in the cake. Spread the sugar/lemon juice mix over the cake and let it dry for 25 minutes.
- Get a bowl and add 45 grams of powdered sugar and 15 millilitres of lemon juice. Mix everything together until you get a paste.
- Glaze the cake and let it dry for 20 minutes. Enjoy the Lemon Pound Cake!
FAQ Lemon Pound Cake
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Lemon Pound Cake?
The cake is traditionally made with a pound of 4 ingredients. These ingredients are sugar, eggs, butter and flour. To get the flavor you add lemon juice and zest!
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: Eggs, Powdered Sugar, Unsalted Butter, Sugar, Cake Flour, Salt, Baking Powder and Lemon.
What are the different types of Pound Cakes?
There are a couple. The most popular ones: Lemon, sour cream, orange and chocolate.