Desserts. I can not get enough of it. At every restaurant when I go out for dinner, I also know in advance that I will order two desserts. The first reason is because it is difficult to choose between multiple desserts. The second reason is often that I enjoy it so much! Examples of desserts you can think of are Lemon Pound Cake, Tiramisu, Crème brûlée, but also Lava Cake. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make a Lava Cake.
What is the definition of Lava Cake
The meaning of Lava Cake is:
”A Lava Cake or molten chocolate cake is like the name says a chocolate cake. The chocolate cake has liquid chocolate in the center. The moment you cut the cake in half, the liquid chocolate will run out of the cake, like lava”.
History Molten Chocolate Cake
A normal cake consists of four basic ingredients: flour, butter, eggs and sugar. To make a chocolate cake you simply add chocolate. As with many dishes, it is difficult to determine who the actual inventor is. Jean Georges Vongerichten is the inventor of the molten chocolate cake. The chef from the United States invented it in 1987. He came to this discovery by removing the chocolate cake from the oven before it was cooked. When opening the cake, he discovered the liquid chocolate in the middle. It was warm, had a good edible texture, and had a perfect taste. It is not known how the cake has spread around the world. However, I am glad it was invented as it really makes me happy! And it is really easy to make a win-win situation.
Ingredients for Chocolate Lava Cake
To make this fantastic cake you need five ingredients. The ingredients are: Eggs, Dark Chocolate, Butter, Sugar, Flour. You can find the recipe below or watch our video! To give this dessert some decoration I used ice cream, strawberries and a cookie crumble.
- 3 Eggs
- 125 grams Dark Chocolate
- 125 grams Unsalted Butter
- 80 grams Granulated Sugar
- 45 grams Flour
- 1 pinch Salt
- First measure 125 grams of butter and 125 grams of Dark Chocolate
- Melt the chocolate au bain marie (pan with hot water, bowl on top) and add the butter.
- Stir everything well until the substance is smooth.
- Add 3 whole eggs to a new bowl and whisk them together.
- Add 80 grams of sugar to this egg mixture.
- Start with adding the egg/sugar mix to the chocolate/butter mix. Stir everything and add a pinch of salt.
- Measure 45 grams of flour and sieve the flour before adding it to the mixture. Mix everything together.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease the mold with butter and pour the batter in the molds.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes on 200 degrees Celsius.
- When they are finished baking let them rest for 5 minutes to cool down.
FAQ Lava Cake
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Lava Cake?
A molten chocolate cake is like the name says a chocolate cake. The chocolate cake has liquid chocolate in the center. The moment you cut the cake in half, the liquid chocolate (lava) will run out of the cake.
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: Eggs, Dark Chocolate, Butter, Sugar and Flour.
Which chocolate do I need to use?
I prefer dark chocolate, but you can use sweet chocolate if you like that more!