I keep saying: I’m a dessert lover. In previous articles I have already described several mousse. For example, I already wrote a recipe for the Chocolate Mousse, Mango Mousse and a while ago for the Strawberry Mousse. Today we can add a new mousse to that. A mousse that anyone can make and is perfect for summer temperatures. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Lemon Mousse.
What is the definition of Lemon Mousse
The meaning of Lemon Mousse is:
”A Lemon mousse is a dessert that contains of lemon curd, powdered sugar and whipping cream. By mixing the whipping cream you get air bubbles that provide the airy and light texture. The mousse can be light, but also thick and creamy”.
I still remember when I went on vacation to Italy. The beautiful landscape, the nice weather, but especially the food was so fantastic. During this holiday I first came into contact with lemon ice cream and lemon mousse. The taste of this dessert is so refreshing. It really is a very summer dessert.
I can already picture it. A restaurant by the sea, where the sun shines well. A little bit of wind and in front of you is a glass with lemon mousse. Let this image affect you for a moment. The perfect dessert. The mousse is very light and you only need 3 ingredients. You can make a mousse in different ways. For example, this time I chose to do everything together in the same bowl. Then you can easily beat it with your hand mixer.
You can also opt for a second way by first mixing the whipping cream and powdered sugar. When soft peaks arise, add the lemon curd. You then mix the ingredients with a spatula. That would also be a possibility. As with previous recipes, I indicated that you can simply put the mousse in a glass and then place it in the refrigerator. At least for 30 minutes, but if you don’t need it until a few hours you can just keep it in the fridge. If you take the glass out of the fridge, you still have to do one more thing. You finish this dish by adding some fresh grated lemon zest on top. Below the steps briefly explained:
- Add the lemon curd, whipping cream and powdered sugar together in a bowl.
- Start mixing it together
- When you see soft peaks, you can stop the mixing
- Add the mixture in the glasses and put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- After the time you add the lemon zest on top and you can start enjoying your mousse!
Lemon Mousse Ingredients
To make this fantastic dessert you need a couple of ingredients. These ingredients are:
lemons, sugar and whipping cream. For the topping you can use some grated lemon zest. You can find the recipe below. If you are interested in cooking videos you can watch my YouTube Channel!
- Hand Mixer
- 120 grams Lemon Curd
- 240 grams Whipping Cream
- 25 grams Powdered Sugar
- 1 Lemon (For the topping)
- The first step is to add the lemon curd, whipping cream and powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Start mixing it together.
- When you get stiff peaks you can stop the mixing.
- Add the lemon mixture to the 4 glasses and put it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Serve the Citroen mousse with some lemon zest on top
- You can also keep the mousse longer in the fridge. I recommend at least 30 minutes, but of course a few hours is also possible.
FAQ Lemon Mousse
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Lemon Mousse?
It’s a mousse based on three ingredients: lemon curd, whipping cream and powdered sugar.
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: lemon curd, whipping cream and powdered sugar.
How long does it take to make?
The total time with preparation and refrigerator is 45 minutes. I recommend to put the mousse at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. It’s also possible to increase this. Overnight is also an option.