It’s the time of the year for the coldest season: the winter. Depending on where you live, it will be extremely cold with a lot of snow or you will have a really soft. This year unfortunately I don’t have a ski holiday, just like so many people due to the corona virus and the lock-downs. So seeing snow and cold will be skipped this year. Very bad, but unfortunately it is the truth. The winter time has his own special dishes. Hot Chocolate is such a typical drink that reminds me of the winter time. Other dishes are Schnitzel but also Kaiserschmarrn. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Kaiserschmarrn.
What is the definition of Kaiserschmarrn
The meaning of Kaiserschmarrn is:
”Kaiserschmarrn or kaiserschmarrren is a sweet dish that contains a caramelized pancake, which is cut into pieces. Zwetschenroster and powdered sugar are served with this dish”.
So this dish is a dessert, but in my opinion you can also take it as a starter. Maybe that’s just me, but I really can have unlimited desserts. This also means that I often order more than one dessert in a restaurant.
This kaiserschmarren is a dish from Austria. So it is a pancake cut into pieces. A plum compote is served and powdered sugar will be sprinkled over the pancake. This dish is one of the most famous dishes from Austria.
Everyone knows how to make pancakes. You also have various options such as the Souffle Pancake, but the necessities are quite simple. You have flour, egg yolks, egg whites, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt and unsalted butter. The dish consists of two parts. One part is to add the flour, egg yolks, sugar, milk, vanilla extract and salt. You mix this until you have a nice batter.
The second part is whipping the egg whites. Then mix the whipped egg whites into the smooth batter you made earlier. This forms the basis of the dessert. Raisins are then added. There are several variants for this dish. Below are the best known:
- Weischselschmarrn (with sherries)
- Topfenschmarrn (with quark)
This dessert is suitable for everyone. I can’t imagine you wouldn’t love this taste wise! Let me know what you think of this dish in the comments!
How to make Kaiserschmarrn
Despite the difficult name, the dish is so easy to make! So, as I said before, you have two parts:
- Smooth batter: flour, egg yolks, sugar, milk, vanilla extract
- Whipped Egg Whites: egg whites, sugar, pinch of salt
The most important thing is that the egg whites are stiff. When you are done mixing, make sure to keep the spike upright. This shows that the egg whites are good enough to be added to the smooth batter. When you add it together, use a spatula to mix everything together.
The batter is ready and it is time to place a pan on medium heat. Add some butter to the pan and wait for it to melt. Add the batter and then the raisins on top. Now you have two options:
- Fry in the pan until brown on both sides
- Place the pan in the oven
When the bottom is already getting a bit of a color, you can also choose to place the pan in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes for 180 degrees. The side of the raisins is on top and you turn it over when the bottom has a color. Then you add some sugar to the top. Then cut the pancake into large pieces. You can even choose to flambé the pancake with rum. This happens in the restaurant in Austria. When the kaiserschmarrn is ready, serve it with powdered sugar on top. A few tips to make sure this is the best dessert you’ve ever eaten:
- Soak the raisins in rum, unless of course you are making it for your kids!
- Add whipped cream and ice creamThese two tips are really a nice addition to your dish!
Making Kaiserschmarren in steps
The steps are explained below:
- Add the flour, egg yolks, sugar, milk and vanilla extract in a bowl. Mix everything together.
- Beat the egg whites with the sugar and a little bit of salt until they are stiff. Add the beaten egg whites and batter.
- Grab a pan and add the butter over medium heat.
- Add the batter to the pan and sprinkle the raisins on top.
- Bake the bottom for 2 minutes (other option is high heat for 1 minute).
- Place the pan in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Remove the pan from the oven, turn the pancake over and sprinkle sugar on top. The pan is still on medium heat.
- Then cut the pancake into large pieces and let it bake for a while.
- When the pancake is caramelized enough, remove it from the pan and serve it with powdered sugar.
It’s time to discuss the ingredients that you need for this incredible dish!
To make this fantastic dessert you need a couple of ingredients. These ingredients are: egg yolks and whites, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, unsalted butter and raisins. Optional is rum for soaking the raisins. For the side you can use ice cream and whipping cream. You can find the recipe below. If you are interested in cooking videos you can watch my YouTube Channel!
- Hand Mixer
- Baking Pan
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 4 Egg Whites
- 200 ml Milk
- 125 grams Flour
- 45 grams Sugar
- 6 grams Vanilla Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 15 grams Butter
- The first step is to grab a bowl and add the flour, egg yolks, a part of the sugar, milk and vanilla extract in the bowl. Mix everything together.
- Grab another bowl and add the egg whites with some sugar and a little bit of salt. Mix the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Put a pan on medium heat and add butter to the pan. When the butter is melted add the batter and sprinkle some raisins on top.
- Bake the bottom for 2 minutes (or 1 minute on high heat)
- Preheat the oven for 180 degrees celcius.
- After 2 minutes put your pan in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes at 180 degrees celcius.
- The time is up remove the pan from the oven and add on the stove again on medium heat.
- Turn Kaiserschmarrn over and sprinkle some sugar on top. Then cut the pancake into large pieces and let it bake for a while. Mix everything together.
- When the pancake is caramelized enough, remove it from the pan and serve it on a plate with powdered sugar on top. Optional are ice cream and whipping cream.
- If you want to give the dish more flavor, you can put the raisins in a bath of rum. Do this for 10 minutes and then take them out.
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Kaiserschmarrn?
Kaiserschmarrn or kaiserschmarrren is a sweet dish that contains a caramelized pancake, which is cut into pieces. Zwetschenroster and powdered sugar are served with this dish.
Which ingredients do I need?
You need the following ingredients: egg yolks and whites, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, unsalted butter and raisins. Optional is rum for soaking the raisins. For the side you can use ice cream and whipping cream.
How long does it take to make?
To make this wonderful dessert it will take 20 minutes.