I’m not much of a person who likes snacks that are too sweet. I can enjoy a good snack and definitely making them. The last sweets I made are the Churros and my most favorite cookies ever: Chocolate Chip Cookies. Saganaki was also a great snack and so simple to make. When I talk about simple. The following recipe is even easier: Small Donuts. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Small Donuts.
What is the definition of Small Donuts
The meaning of Small Donuts is:
”Small Donuts are small round dough balls that needs to be frying in oil. The Donuts gets a cover with a sugar glaze or chocolate sauce”.
History Small Donuts
It’s time to tell you more about the history of the donut. If you think the history of the donut is not that interesting, scroll down below for the ingredients and the recipe!
A donut is also familiar with the name doughnut. The doughnut is a fried dough that can have a lot of different shapes. The most popular one is the ring shape or the shape without a hole. If this is the case the donut is filled. And the third option is the ball shaped or also called doughnut holes. A donut is famous because of the sweets on top. There are so much combinations possible. For instance a glaze of sugar or chocolate. Besides the sweets on top you can also inject the doughnuts with for example custard.
From the Netherlands to the United States
Enough about the options its time for a history lesson. The origins from the donut are from the Netherlands. In the past they called it olykoek, thats like oil biscuit in English. The Dutch people brought it to New York, in the past called New Amsterdam. The first time the donut is mentioned in a book was around 1809.
The taste and and look of the donut changed and is now known as a typical American food. The ring shaped donut has been invented in 1847 by Hanson Gregory. Not a Dutchman, but an American. At the time of his invention he was only 16 years old.
The story of the invention is funny. The boy was not happy with the donuts and made a hole in the center out of anger. He showed his creation to his mother. The mother made the deep fried dough with hole in the center. If the story is 100% accurate we don’t know, but it can be possible! It’s time to share the ingredients for the small doughnuts.
Ingredients for Small Donuts
To make this fantastic snack you need only two ingredients: plain yogurt and self-rising flour. For the dipping sauce I used a Sugar Glaze and Chocolate Sauce. You can find the recipe below or watch our video!
- Large Fry Pan
- 150 grams Self-Raising Flour
- 200 grams Yogurt (Plain)
- 220 grams Powdered Sugar
- 75 ml Milk
- 15 ml Vanilla Extract
- 50 grams Unsalted Butter
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- 25 grams Sugar
- 65 grams Dark Chocolate
- 120 ml Milk
- 10 ml Water
- 5 grams Corn Starch
- The first step is to add 150 grams of self raising flour to the mixing bowl.
- Next add 200 grams of plain yogurt and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- Add the dough to your piping bag.
- Fill a pan with vegetable oil. Heat the pan on medium heat.
- Use a scissor to cut dough balls and drop them gently in the pan with oil. Bake the donuts golden brown.
- For the Chocolate sauce add 25 grams of sugar, 12 ml of water, 65 grams of dark chocolate and 120 ml of milk to a pan. Stir everything over medium heat. Dissolve 5 grams of cornstarch in a little bit of water and add it to the pan. This thickens the Chocolate Sauce.
- Take a mixing bowl and add 220 grams of powdered sugar and 50 grams of melted butter.
- Next add 15 ml of vanilla extract and 45 ml of milk. Mix everything.
- Add another 30 ml of milk. Keep stirring until the icing is shiny.
- Put the first batch in the sugar glaze and the second batch in the chocolate sauce. Mix everything around so the donuts balls have a nice layer of sugar glaze or chocolate sauce
- Let it rest for 10 minutes on a plate. After 10 minutes you are ready to eat!
FAQ Small Donuts
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What are Small Donuts?
Small Donuts are small round dough balls that needs to be frying in oil. The Donuts gets a cover with a sugar glaze or chocolate sauce.
Which ingredients do I need for the Donuts?
You need the following ingredients: plain yogurt and self-rising flour.
How long does it need rest?
I recommend a minimum of 10 minutes.