Creating and coming up with recipes can often be done within seconds. If you open an internet browser and go on Pinterest or Instagram you will see recipes everywhere. How often have you been tagged in a post on Facebook about the tastiest desserts. Today not dessert, but a snack. This time a snack that you can make in the air fryer. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Air Fryer Donuts.
What is the definition of Air Fryer Donuts
The meaning of air fryer donuts is:
”A donut is a sweet, fried bun with a hole in the middle. Instead of frying it’s baked with hot air in the Air Fryer”.
Air Fryer Donuts
An air fryer can really be a very handy device. I have previously covered recipes from salmon, chicken wings, sweet potatoes fries and onion rings. So today a donuts recipe. Earlier I shared a recipe about small donuts, also delving deeper into the history of this great snack.
Just a short recap about the donut. So a donut is not a bagel, even though it is often confused with a bagel. A donut can also be known by the name doughnut. The doughnut does not need to have a hole for this. When this is the case, it can be filled with a treat, such as jam. There are actually three stories about the origin of the donut.
History of the donut
The first story is that it was described in a cookbook in 1803. The second story is that a man named Hanson Gregory invented the snack around the age of 16. He made a hole in the dough and then showed it to his mother. The third variant of a story is that the recipe comes from the Netherlands. It was the Dutch who emigrated to America and here made a variant of the ”Oliebol”, a really popular snack in the Netherlands around the winter months. In 1809, the donut recipe was described in a book. It was also clearly stated that the Dutch had something to do with this discovery.
Whoever invented the donut, a lot has changed over the years. There are many different toppings available, including a powdered sugar glaze, chocolate or cinnamon sugar. This way, everyone can find a donut that you really like. But how do you make air fryer donuts? Read on.
Making Air Fryer Donuts
Making a donut sounds difficult. Yet this is not entirely true. What is true is that it takes a while to make. The first thing you need to do is making your dough. You need yeast / instant yeast, sugar and milk that has been heated. You add this in a bowl and stir together. After stirring it well, let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Then add the flour, melted butter, egg and salt. Mix everything together.
You now have two options, whether you knead it by hand or use a kitchen machine. I personally find the use of a kitchen machine more convenient. The device can do it faster and probably better. When using the kitchen machine, the dough is good when it no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. This can take anywhere from 4 to 7 minutes. Use the machine on low speed. When the dough is ready, put it in a bowl that has been coated with baking spray. Cover the top of the bowl with foil. You can simply place the bowl on your countertop. Now is the time to let it rise.
You are supposed to at least double the dough you made. When this is done, it is time to proceed to the following steps. If you want to make sure that the rising went well, you can press your finger into the dough. If the print of your finger remains, it all went well.
Cutting the Donuts
It’s time to roll the dough. Make sure the dough is about 2,5 cm thick. Now it is time to use a round cutter. You can get between 8 and 10 donuts from the dough. If you get 6 donuts from the dough, no problem at all! Once you have cut out the donuts, you can also use a smaller cutter to make a hole in the center. If you don’t have this, you can use a drinking glass. Sprinkle the donuts with some flour and then place them on baking paper. You do the top again with foil, cover this foil with a little baking spray. Letting the donuts rest should ensure that they continue to rise. Let them rise for at least 30 minutes. I recommend 45 minutes. You will see that after 45 minutes the donuts have doubled in size.
After 45 minutes it is time to bake the donuts. Make sure you have the air fryer pre-heated to 180 degrees Celsius. Then spray the basket with oil spray. Then you also bake them at 180 degrees Celsius. This will take between 5 to 6 minutes or until they are golden brown. So keep an eye on this. You can choose to make a powdered sugar glaze or melt chocolate au-bain-marie, this is your choice! You can also choose to add only some icing sugar on top or a combination of cinnamon and sugar. One important note. When you add the donuts to the basket, they need to have enough space. My recommendation for the topping is chocolate and cinnamon sugar!
How to make Air Fryer Donuts in Steps
Below you can find the summary of the steps:
- Grab a bowl and add the yeast (instant yeast), sugar, and lukewarm milk.
- Mix everything together and let it rest for 15 until 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes mix the flour, melted butter, the egg and the salt to the mixture.
- Use a kitchen machine on low speed for 4-7 minutes.
- Spray a bowl with baking spray and add the dough. Add foil on top that also contains a layer of baking spray. Let the dough rest.
- When the dough has doubled in size, it is time for the next steps.
- Roll the dough 2,5 cm thick. Use a round cutter to get between 8 and 10 donuts from the dough. Use a small cutter or glass to make the hole in the center.
- Sprinkle the donuts with flour and place them on a baking tray with baking paper and foil. Let the donuts rest for another 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes pre-heat the Air Fryer to 180 degrees celcius.
- Spray the basket with baking spray.
- Bake the donuts golden brown.
- The Air Fryer Donuts are ready! You only need a topping! You can choose to melt chocolate au-bain-marie, make a powdered sugar glaze or use cinnamon sugar.
Below you can find the ingredients!
Air Fryer Donuts Ingredients
To make this fantastic snack you need a couple of ingredients. These ingredients are: flour, unsalted butter, egg, salt, sugar, milk and instant yeast. For the topping you can use cinnamon and granulated sugar. You can find the recipe below! Interested in cooking videos? Watch my YouTube Channel!
Air Fryer Donuts
- Kitchen Machine
- Baking plate
- Air Fryer
- 350 grams All Purpose Flour
- 60 grams Unsalted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 45 grams Granulated Sugar
- 3 grams Salt
- 230 ml Milk (lukewarm, not hot)
- 9 grams Instant Yeast
- 5 grams Sugar
- 8 grams Cinnamon
- 50 grams Granulated Sugar
- Grab a bowl and add the yeast (instant yeast), sugar, and lukewarm milk. Make sure the milk isn't to hot! Otherwise the yeast process doesn't work
- Mix everything together and let it rest for 15 until 20 minutes.
- After 15 until 20 minutes mix the flour, melted butter, the egg and the salt to the mixture.
- Use a kitchen machine or your hands to knead the dough. It will take between 4 and 7 minutes with the kitchen machine. Use low speed.
- If the dough is ready, spray a bowl with baking spray and add the dough. Add foil on top that also contains a layer of baking spray. Let the dough rest.
- When the dough has doubled in size, it is time for the next steps. To make sure the dough is good, press into the dough with your finger. If the print remains visible, you can take the next steps.
- Roll the dough 2,5 cm thick. Use a round cutter to get between 8 and 10 donuts from the dough. When you have cut out the donuts, you can use a small cutter to make the hole in the center. Or you can use a glass if you don't have a small cutter at home.
- Sprinkle the donuts with flour and place them on a baking tray with baking paper. Put foil on top that contains a layer of baking spray. Let the donuts rest for another 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes pre-heat the Air Fryer to 180 degrees celcius. Spray the basket with baking spray.
- Bake the donuts for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure the donuts have enough space in the basket.
- The Air Fryer Donuts are ready! You only need a topping! You can choose to melt chocolate au bain marie, make a powdered sugar glaze or use cinnamon sugar.
FAQ Air Fryer Donuts
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What are Air Fryer Donuts?
A donut is a sweet, fried bun with a hole in the middle. Instead of frying it’s baked with hot air in the Air Fryer
How long does it take to make?
The total process will take you 135 minutes or 2 hours and 15 minutes. The dough needs to rest a long time to get the right size. Baking the donuts will take between 4 and 7 minutes.
Which ingredients do I need for this recipe?
The ingredients for this recipe are: flour, unsalted butter, egg, salt, sugar, milk and instant yeast. For the topping you can use cinnamon and granulated sugar.