The days are getting colder. Depending on where you live, of course. Where I live we are close to water. This automatically means that when it gets colder there is also more wind. This wind in combination with cold ensures that it is also much colder. During these cold days you are often looking for something warm. This can be an easy dish like Panqueques Dulce de Leche. Today a recipe for the best hot drink I’ve ever made: Hot chocolate. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at how to make Hot Chocolate.
What is the definition of Hot Chocolate
The meaning of Hot Chocolate is:
”Hot Chocolate also familiar under the name Hot Cocoa, is a warm drink with chocolate or cocoa powder and milk or water. The drink is extremely popular during the cold days”.
History Hot Cocao
Ask someone if he likes hot chocolate and I think at least 95% says yes. I belonged to that other 5%. I have tried it before, but I think it is really too sweet. Still, a ski vacation in Italy has changed my life forever. I ordered the chocolate milk and it was really delicious and not too sweet. At that time I had a glass every day and it was something to look forward to. Even before, during and after skiing. And of course that was my inspiration to make that recipe even better and we succeeded! But first a bit of history about this fantastic drink.
I didn’t know this either, but cocoa drink is made by the Mayans from Mexico. This occurred more than 2000 years ago. It was part of their culture. The drink is hundred of years later shipped to Europe. This happened around the year 1600. At that time it was viewed differently than now. It also had a healing effect in the culture of the Aztecs. For example, it could help against liver and stomach diseases. In Europe, chocolate was mainly seen as a luxury product. It was only available to a small section of society.
Since the year 2000, the warm drink has been on the rise in popularity. There are several names and variations:
- Para Mesa: Latin America, a more spicy drink
- Cioccolata calda: Italy, thick Chocolate drink
- Chocolate a la taza: Spain
- Chocolate Milk: Unites States, thin warm chocolate milk.
The drink gets more popular during the last months of the year. Around November, December until March it’s a popular drink. During cold days nothing is more satisfied than a good class of warm chocolate. It’s time to reveal the best hot cocoa recipe in the world!
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate
To make this best drink in the world you only need these ingredients: sugar, dark chocolate (Callebaut No 811, finest Belgium Chocolate), cocoa powder, water and milk. For the topping you use Chocolate Sauce. You can find the recipe below or watch our video!
- Sauce pan
- Milk Frother
- 20 grams Sugar
- 60 grams Dark Chocolate
- 8 grams Cocoa Powder
- 30 ml Water
- 350 ml Milk (warm)
- Chocolate Sauce
- The first step is to add 20 grams of sugar, 8 grams of cocoa powder and 30 ml of water in a saucepan. Mix everything together.
- Place the pan on medium heat.
- In the meantime take another saucepan and add the milk. Warm the milk on medium heat.
- Add 60 grams of Dark Chocolate in the first saucepan. When the chocolate chips are melted add the 300 ml of hot milk in the first saucepan.
- Heat up the chocolate milk on medium heat.
- Add 50 ml of milk to a milk frother.
- Pour the hot chocolate milk in a glass. Add the frothed milk on top. You can also use whipped cream.
- Finish the drink with adding chocolate sauce on top. Enjoy!
FAQ Hot Chocolate
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
What is Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate also familiar under the name Hot Cocoa, is a warm drink with chocolate or cocoa powder and milk or water.
Which ingredients do I need for this recipe?
You need the following ingredients: sugar, dark chocolate (Callebaut No 811, finest Belgium Chocolate), cocoa powder, water and milk. For the topping I use Chocolate Sauce.
How long does it take to make the warm drink?
It will takes around 15 minutes!