When you go out for dinner you usually start with a starter, followed by a main menu and dessert. Even though you have to enjoy every dish, I’ve always been looking forward to dessert. I prefer two desserts at the end. Simply because I cannot choose.
The French Cuisine is internationally known, also for his famous desserts. This kitchen is characterized by a great diversity. A typical French dessert is Crème brûlée. In this article we will explain what Crème brûlée is and how you can make it at home.
What is the definition of Crème brûlée
The meaning of Crème brûlée is:
“Crème brûlée is a custard based dessert with a thin layer of caramelized sugar on top”
The original recipe contains sugar, vanilla and whipped cream that creates a creamy custard taste. There are also other versions with a salted caramel taste or lemon/citrus taste. You can experiment a lot and create your own version of the famous recipe. We really like the original version you can watch below or here.
To make this French dessert you need four ingredients. These ingredients are: eggs, sugar, vanilla stick, whipping cream. Below we will explain the ingredients.
- Eggs: You can use all sorts of eggs. In my opinion it doesn’t matter what for kind of eggs you have at home. You can keep the eggs at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Sugar: You can use granulated sugar, its just the normal sugar.
- Vanilla stick: The Vanilla Stick can be bought by a supermarket. One stick is enough.
- Whipping cream: Just regular whipping cream.
- Oven Bowl
- Gas Torch
- 6 Eggs
- 160 grams Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Stick
- 500 grams Whipping Cream
- Add 6 egg yolks (room temperature) to a bowl and add 100 grams of sugar. Whisk everything together till you get a creamy substance.
- Add 500 grams of whipped cream and a vanilla stick to a pan.Heat the mix until it begins to boil at the edges. Take the pan of the gas and remove the vanilla stick from the mixture.
- Add the heated cream little by little to our egg yolk/sugar bowl. Stir everything together.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.
- Get a glass baking dish where 4 ramekins fit in. Fill the ramekins with the mix.
- Put the glass baking dish in the oven and fill the glass baking dish till halfway with hot water.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Take the ramekins out of the oven and let it cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours or the whole night
- When the Crème brûlée is hardened, spray 15 grams of sugar on each ramekin to create that beautiful sugar layer.
- Use a gas torch to caramelize the sugar on top!
FAQ Crème brûlée
Below you can find the most frequently asked questions:
A custard based dessert with a thin layer of caramelized sugar on top
The original recipe contains egg yolk, sugar, whipped cream and a vanilla stick.
You can use granulated sugar.